Applications due 15th May 2017
The Doctoral Program in Environment and Society invites applications from graduates in the humanities and social sciences who wish to research the complex relationships between environment and society within an interdisciplinary setting. Our program is based at the Rachel Carson Center for Environment and Society, a joint initiative of LMU Munich and the Deutsches Museum. The Rachel Carson Center is an international center for research and education in the environmental humanities and social sciences: its mission is to advance research and discussion concerning the interrelationship between humans and nature.
The Rachel Carson Center and its partner institutions ensure that all doctoral students have access to a lively research community of international and interdisciplinary scholars. All doctoral students have a permanent workspace at the RCC or the Deutsches Museum, a program of regular colloquia, workshops, and talks by visiting academics; excellent supervision by members of the academic board; and a sociable and diverse peer group.
The program does not offer scholarships for doctoral candidates, but can assist students who apply for external funding: limited funding is available for conference travel and archival or field research. Applicants wishing to be admitted to this doctoral program must hold a Master’s degree from a recognized university, show evidence of excellence in their field of study, and present a plan for a doctoral project in one of the following areas or combination of areas:
- Environmental History, History of Science and Technology
- Environmental Humanities, Literature and Environment
- Art and the Environment in Historical Perspective
- Environmental Sociology, Political Economy
- Energy and Resource Economics for Sustainability
- Geography, Human-Environment Relations
- Geology and Natural Catastrophes
- Bioarchaeology, Life Sciences in Society
- Environmental Law
- Environmental Policy (Comparative and International) , Politics of Ecological Transitions
- Environmental Ethics
- Environmental Anthropology
For further information, please see the Call for Applications.
Applications must be submitted by 15 May 2017 via the online portal of the LMU Munich Graduate Center. Only applications submitted through the portal will be considered.