The Department of History, University of Zürich invites an application for an Academic Assistant
0,6 Academic Assistant position to join the Anthropocene research group of Prof. Debjani Bhattacharyya
The Department of History offers excellent research support in a vibrant research community and is committed to advancing young scholars’ careers.
The Academic Assistant will pursue their own Ph.D. research in the broad areas of Anthropocene History, Climate and/or Environmental History. A focus on the Global South is desired, though other regional concentrations will also be considered. As an academic assistant you will also be enrolled in the Department’s doctoral program, which offers advanced methodological and substantive training.
You will contribute to teaching in the field of Anthropocene History and Environmental History, advising of BA, MA, and incoming PhD students, and some administrative tasks. Collaboration in research projects running in the research group and the Department is encouraged.
Position Start Date: August 2022
- A MA in History ideally with a focus on one of the following areas environmental history, postcolonial history or history of science.
- Interest in creative methodological approaches to studying the Anthropocene, environmental, earth and climate histories.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team.
- Strong command of English.
- Strong command of the language of your chosen research area, i.e. a demonstrable ability to read both archival sources and secondary literature in that language.
What We Offer
- Integration in a leading department with highly motivated and engaged members.
- The successful candidate will be appointed on a 3-year-contract which is extendable on a year-to-year basis for a maximum of 6 years.
- Salary is based on the cantonal salary guidelines.
The department aims to increase the diversity of its members and thus explicitly invites applications from traditionally underrepresented groups.
To apply please send the following as one PDF Application_Anthropocene_Chair (please submit your dossier as one PDF) by 17:00 (CET) April 20, 2022 to Edith Darnay, [email protected]
- A project proposal of no more than 2000 words
- A detailed CV
- BA and MA academic transcript
- A writing sample, (ideally a seminar paper, but could be your Master’s Thesis too)
Please note that shortlisted candidates will be invited for a zoom interview between May 4 and May 6, 2022.
For any administrative questions on this position, please reach out to: Edith Darnay, HR, [email protected]t.uzh.ch; and for any queries regarding the project and the research profile of this position contact Prof. Debjani Bhattacharyya [email protected]