The Book Prize will be awarded every two years to the book judged to be the most significant non-fiction contribution to the environmental history of Australia and/or Aotearoa New Zealand (broadly conceived), including international perspectives that shed new light on the environmental history of Australia and/or Aotearoa New Zealand. International perspectives may include, for example, migration, commodity chains and/or policy engagements.
The book publication date must be in the two year period between 1 January 2021 and 31 December 2022. Applications are due on 1 February 2023, 11:59pm.
To be eligible for the Environmental History Book Prize, the book must:
- contain original research on the environmental history of Australia, Aotearoa New Zealand, or contain international perspectives that shed significant new light on the environmental history of Australia and/or Aotearoa New Zealand;
- contain significantly new work;
- not be a new edition of a previously published book;
- have been published by a recognised publisher during the two calendar years immediately prior to the first day of January of the year in which it is to be awarded. Self published works are ineligible;
- have either one or multiple authors;
- not be an edited collection;
- be entered for consideration by either an author or publisher.
The prize will be awarded to the book (or books) which, in the opinion of the judges, is the most significant contribution to the environmental history of Australia and/or Aotearoa New Zealand, or containing international perspectives that shed significant new light on the environmental history of Australia and/or Aotearoa New Zealand.
Authors or publishers should:
- submit the online application form by 1 February (Google Forms).
- mail a copy of the book to each of the two judges postmarked by 1 February. The postal addresses will be supplied via email alert after the online entry form has been successfully submitted.
- attach a cover page to each book stating the publisher, publisher contact name, position, email address, contact phone number, book details, author, date published and ISBN.
- books submitted will not be returned.